Air Force MARS welcomes new members. Here is a partial list of the requirements:
- US Citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
- Amateur Radio Operator
- Modern (frequency stable) HF radio and antenna suitable for 3-10 MHZ operations over a multi-state area
- MARS bands are outside of the amateur bands, so you will need to “open up” your radio to operate on them. Radio manufacturers may require a copy of MARS license to perform that modification or provide that information.
- Be familiar with digital programs and modes like Winlink Express, fldigi, PSK-31, etc. We use digital modes for almost all of our traffic.
- Requires an external sound card, cables, and a program (e.g., fldigi).
- Internal PC sound cards are typically not adequate
- Newer radios may have a sound card built in
- Ability and motivation to learn new skills, and participate on the air.
- Prior military experience is not a requirement.
To learn more: